Reading disability in adults is usually a neurological disorder, which is more commonly referred to as adult dyslexia. Such things usually occur because of the different kinds of wiring in the brain. People with dyslexia usually see the things from a different perspective because their brains are programmed to read information differently. However, despite their difficulty in reading, writing and spelling, other strengths can be recognized, particularly creative endeavors.
All Kinds Of Learning Disabilities Are Not Dyslexia Related
Reading disability, as in adult dyslexia, should not be confused with learning inabilities. There can be several other reasons as well, such as the following:-
- Some kind of illness or medical condition
- Attendance problems- the person may not be attending schools regularly
- If the problem is associated with reading English, it may be because he or she is learning English as a second language. In fact, when it comes to learning any language other than the native one, it is likely that the learner will inevitably face some or the other reading and comprehending difficulties.
Other Learning Disabilities
There can be different types of learning disabilities and all of them cannot be considered as adult dyslexia.
- Nonverbal Learning Disabilities – It is a kind of neurological disorder that causes several problems, such as holistic, evaluative, organizational, intuitive, and visual-spatial processing functions.
- Auditory and Visual Processing Disorders ? In this type of learning disability, the person has normal hearing and vision. Still, he or she experiences a great amount of difficulty in understanding the language. These kinds of auditory and visual processing disorders need a variety or treatment.
- Dysgraphia – It is a kind of writing disability that makes it difficult for the person to write in a particular format. For example, he or she may find difficulty in writing within a defined space or forming letters.
- Dyscalculia – it is a kind of specific learning disability where the person finds it difficult to solve even the simplest of mathematical problems or understanding different math concepts.
This way, we can see that not every kind of learning disability is dyslexia. There are different types of adult dyslexia tests that can help you distinguish dyslexia from other learning disabilities.
It is important for you to understand that adult dyslexia is a very common phenomenon, as one in seven Americans is suffering from some kind of learning disability. However, it is not something that cannot be cured. Proper attention in time can easily overcome the effects that are caused by adult dyslexia.Click here to find out if you suffer from Dyslexia!